Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
The answer is no! Dogs should never eat grapes or raisins and when they do it will cause serious health risks. Not only is eating grapes bad for the dog it could be toxic depending on the amount they had.
Some dogs show a higher level of sensitivity than others, but overall dogs can’t digest grapes. Sensitivity ranges from no effect to hospitalization so it is best to stay away from experimenting with this food.
Death has been the result of dogs finding themselves eating this fruit. It is the exception rather than the rule that they will be able to survive eating multiple grapes or raisins in one sitting.
Getting in contact with a vet is best but don’t forget due to the dog’s response you may want to contact the Animal Poison Control Center first.
How Many Grapes Can My Dog Eat?
No one knows how many grapes a dog can eat before becoming ill. Here is what we do know about the number of grapes dogs have eaten and gotten sick over.
Animal Poison Control Center and ASPCA show dogs dying or developing serious health issues a few hours after eating a few grapes. In their study of around 50 dogs 5 died, 15 had to be euthanized, and the rest would survive.
This is the study of the article for further review of the medical study from the APCC
Unpredictable responses to the eating of grapes for dogs makes it best to steer clear. Failure of body organs makes this something all owners should show caution with when approaching.
According to the study these were the specific symptoms that dogs got from eating grapes or raisins
- Low Urine Amount
- Stomach Pain
- Loss of Coordination
- Kidney Failure
Every dog would vomit and that’s one of the main signs that you should be aware of. After a period of a day any dog that would show signs of being affected by eating grapes their bodies would start to throw it out of their system.
Weakness is the second leading symptom amongst the dogs. Again, around 24 hours they would see the dogs lose strength and not have a strong posture.
All dogs that would show low urine counts died and this was a direct connection to the kidney failure.
Unfortunately, after a period of five days you will see that symptoms were still showing up for dogs that ate grapes or raisins many days ago.
It is important to note that there were a lot of dogs in the study that didn’t show any signs of having a health problem.
After knowledge that your dog has ingested something that causes toxins and are showing signs of those symptoms you need to get proper medical attention from a professional right away.
Seedless grapes and grapes that contain seeds of any color have all caused dogs issues. Although, the exact cause is unknown currently we will name some possible causes of the problem.
Farming Substances – fungicides is something farmers need to protect their crop from, and they do that by spraying chemicals to prevent their products from getting Fungi. Dogs may not be able to ingest these products that are on the grapes.
Insects – are one of the many bugs to touch fruit that is grown. Additionally, measures are taken to make them stay away from the food. Chemicals like this might cause the reaction to grapes dogs have.
Weeds – different weeds are grown besides grapes like every other plant. Whenever a plant causes issues to the dog when eaten and is grown around grapes can cause an issue.
Spiders – lastly, spiders droppings can cause a reaction and products that farmers use to keep spiders away can also carry substances that are causing the wrong reactions to grapes.
Although we can’t say for sure we do know that substances that are foreign to a fruit may make it on some of the produce and may be the chemical that the dog is disagreeing with. Since we don’t know the answers the best thing to do is to stay away from it altogether.
What to Do If My Dog Eats a Grape?
First thing you want to do whenever a toxin is inside of a human or dog is to remove the toxin. Throwing up is one way that professionals recommend because it stops progression of health problems. Longer the grapes are inside of the dog the worst it can be, potentially.
Water intake will be important at this stage. Flushing out with urine or a bowel movement is a great decision to make to help them clear their system.
Removal of grapes availability to the dog. However, they got to the food you need to make sure this never happens again. Never having accuse to grapes is the best choice.
Medication to stop vomiting, upset stomach, and other issues may be a real possibility. Taking them to a vet or animal hospital will be the place you would receive any medications.
Professional monitoring after a few days up to a week to see how the symptoms are or aren’t developing is important. Different parts of the dog’s body can give out, so constant monitoring is important.
Kidney evaluation and testing for multiple days will help keep you up to date about the condition of the kidneys. All dogs who have died all had kidney failure to some degree.
Grape Tree Removal – the best thing you can do is to remove any trees that grow grapes in your backyard. Sometimes you buy a house and they come with the property, but your dog’s life is at risk every day for a serious medical condition. Removing the tree makes the most sense.
Keep Fruits Away – putting them into the fridge or in a cabinet that they can’t reach or get into is the most responsible thing a dog owner can do. Accessibility will help to the dog eating them without you giving them any.
Teach the Family – Let the entire family know that the dog shouldn’t eat grapes and what kind of harm it can cause. Younger kids like to share with the dog, but you must monitor the kids when they have this fruit until they are old enough to know not to do it.
Other Foods Dogs Can’t Eat
- Certain Nuts
- And many more